Monday, 3 November 2014

Camp- Lakewood Lodge

Stepping of the bus I felt a cold gust of wind gently hit my face as I quickly realised we had arrived at our destination Lakewood Lodge. As the bus drove away we finally gathered our luggage and slowly walked up the steep driveway towards our cabins, yet I could hear the tired and aching moans of those (including me) who had overpacked and were struggling to carry the weight of their bags.

After settling into our cabins and having our morning tea all of the teams were sent off to their first activities of the day although group 1, 2 and 3 were being sent off to a 24 hour activity, Survival Camp. While group 1, 2 and 3 were away, groups 4, 5 and 6 (my group) were having a blast getting new experiences and overcoming challenges such as the 11m high climbing wall, kayaking (where i got stuck on the rocks as i couldn’t control my kayak), Horse games and dealing with the bugs that came into the girls cabins which caused complete chaos. Late at night we were all sent to do the Burma Trail and play Spotlight which was fun and everyone seemed to relish it.

The next morning groups 4, 5, 6 and I were woken up at 6.15am by the powerful and thundering growl of Mr Fourie as he woke us all up. Once we were all awake everyone in the Girls cabins were scurrying around the room getting dressed, brushing their hair and waiting to use the bathroom. Dressed and exhausted all the boys, girls and parents/teachers arrived at the horse arena to do the morning run and tiring as it was we had to run around the WHOLE Lakewood Lodge (two times) and by the time we had breakfast I was relieved.

People from Survival Camp had just entered the building and now groups 4, 5 and 6 were now heading to Survival Camp. Moments later we were all sitting in the hall staring at a bulky man named Mike who wore shorts (that in my opinion were way too short), a waterproof jacket and a dark green hat that was aligned with sharp-looking teeth.

At Survival Camp it was most enjoyable as we did lots of different activities which involved teamwork and cooperation we also did the Mud run (which is a run which requires 1 person from each team to compete against each other by running/swimming in a muddy swamp and completing obstacles) and each team created their own fire which they used to cook their dinner which consisted of sheep mince, bread, a tea towel, rice, water, potatoes wrapped in tinfoil and carrots/onions. Bad part of Survival camp was the rain it caused absolute misery when we were cooking our dinner.

Back from Survival Camp groups 4, 5 and 6 were all in need of a long hot shower yet that wasn’t to happen till the afternoon after activities and the water slide/ lake swim we also spent the following day with the almost exact same routine. As our last day at camp we spent our morning in our togs shivering in the harsh weather while swimming in the cold depths of the lake we spent the rest of the day having fun packing up our stuff and doing the best class comp (Room 8 won obviously) where i did the bouldering wall. But honestly leaving on the bus was easy as I was starting to miss the annoying yet loving nature of my family and the thought of being able to sleep in my own bed.
Overall this camp has encouraged me to overcome all of my challenges and has taught me to trust in my team, it also has showed me what camp is really about and a lot of the fundamental things about camp were included such as camp fires, scary stories, tents and overcoming your fears. But I have also been thinking about the people who work at the camp and how it must be to have to say the same things over and over again to all these children and adults every few weeks, it also must be very infuriating and irritating.

No comments:

Post a Comment